The 2020 Commonwealth Youth Awards Nominations have been opened. For this edition, cash grants will be given to eventual winners to enable and empower them to improve on the impact they create in their communities through their respective development work. This is in line with Commonwealth’s effort to recognize and encourage the young people with exemplary development initiatives impacting communities in all the member states.
There will be regional winners to whom invitations will be extended for them to participate in the 2020 Commonwealth Day which will take place in London. Here, the award ceremony will take place.
The Awards are being delivered in partnership with the Commonwealth Youth Council and the Commonwealth Youth Networks.
This award comes at a good time for the Asian nations. Its launching coincides with the meeting of the senior officials from the Youth Ministry in the Asian region. This meeting is necessitated by the need to evaluate the progress so far made concerning the already laid down policy thrust for the young people as well as come to final regional strategic blueprint to guide all current and future interventions to improve the wellbeing and livelihoods of Commonwealth young people in Asia.
The Secretary-General, while launching the awards in Brunei, said, “The Awards celebrate all that we achieve collectively when we empower young people to realize their full potential and exercise their full citizenship, creativity and innovation.”
Eligibility and Conditions:
Every interested nominee must:
- be between 15 to 29 years old;
- be a recognized and verifiable citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- have had at least 12 months of active engagement in community development work – this could be at professional or voluntary capacity levels;
- have a convincing evidence of having been of implementing innovative ideas as development work which must have had or is/are currently impacting to any of the 17 SDGs; and
- have demonstrated an individual understanding and recognition of the relevance of youth engagement in key areas of development.
Interested participants can nominate themselves or be nominated by another person. However, the nominating party must not be a relative of the nominee yet can testify of the verifiable proofs of the impact of their work.
Four regional finalists will be shortlisted from four Commonwealth regions of:
- Africa and Europe;
- the Caribbean and Canada; and
- the Pacific
making a total of 16 finalists. From this pool of finalists, 1 young person will emerge a Regional Winner from each of the regions. This will produce another pool of 4 Regional Winners (one from each of the four regions). From this group, one (1) exceptional finalist/entrant will be awarded the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year.
In this session, all finalists will be given a trophy, a certificate and cash grants to encourage and empower them in continuing their development work in their various communities. The cash awards are as follows:
- All 16 finalists (4 per region) will be awarded £1,000 each;
- Every eventual Regional Winner shall be given an additional £2,000; and
- The Commonwealth Young Person of the Year will also receive an additional cash grant of £2,000.
Deadline: Nomination is done online by registering. Deadline is 31st October 2019. Entries received after 23:59 GMT on 31st October 2019 will neither be accepted nor processed.
Follow this link for more information about the Awards, and to apply or nominate someone.